Saturday, August 7, 2010

Where can I obtain factual stats on canine lepto cases?

I have been searching the web with no luck. I'm trying to decide if I should vaccinate my dog for lepto but would like to see some stats for my state (michigan) before doing so. Any idea if these cases are reported and tabulated?Where can I obtain factual stats on canine lepto cases?
Are you trying to find out if you live in an area of high percentages (what we like to call ';high risk';)? The absolute best way to get that sort of information/statistics is to contact your local Department of Agriculture.





I do want to mention that the Lepto vaccine carries the highest incidence of canine vaccine reactions.Where can I obtain factual stats on canine lepto cases?
While you are looking into canine lepto cases, you may also want to check out human cases as well. This is a disease that can be passed from infected dogs to people. It's very likely that many dogs with lepto are misdiagnosed and/or not reported - whereas in humans it would be. Perhaps a call to a local health unit? Also, I would try ';googling'; companies which make canine lepto vaccines. Wyeth, Fort Dodge..etc. It's very likely that their research teams have done studies on the prevalence of lepto across the country - esp. which strains are on the rise or decline. They have been ';reformatting'; their vaccines over the last few years to include different lepto strains - so obviously they have done studies which tell them where lepto is, and what strains they need to protect dogs from. I hope this helps.


Sorry that I don't have any specific websites for you.
If you are trying to decide about vaccines I suggest visiting this site and requesting the reports. Contains a recent report from the AAHA and Dr. Dodd's materials, along with a lot of other reports about vaccinations. You can refuse any vaccination except rabies





http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/鈥?/a>





EDIT: If unsure your vet can do a titler. Chances are very good it would show your dog doesn't need the shot, and a good way for you to know with no doubt your dog is still protected

No comments:

Post a Comment